The use of persistent organics in China and Hong Kong
1) Many manufactured persistent organic chemicals (eg. phthalate,
halowax, polybromophenol, etc.) are actively used in heat stabilizer,
plasticizer and flame retardant.
2) More than 200,000 tonnes and 40,000 tonnes of phthalate and halowax
are produced every year.
3) China produces about 5000 tonnes of Pentachlorophenol (PCP)
annually (Wu et al., 1997).
4) Environmental concerns on liquid dielectric transform are growing
owing to the existence of PCBs and PCB substitutes.
5) Input of persistent organic chemicals to HK is much more than